Change isn’t always easy, fast, or simple. That’s why we’re here for each other.
Since 2015, participants of our open community have supported each other’s pursuit of social impact. Together, we have celebrated exciting career opportunities, new friendships, practical help for local projects, as well as inspiration during personal and professional transitions.
We come from diverse backgrounds ranging from sustainability to social development, entrepreneurship, health, fashion, technology, and more. We are united by a desire to connect authentically and to support each other by sharing knowledge, skills, and resources.
What to Expect:
- Potluck: Thanks to everyone’s participation, we always have a delicious, co-created meal!
- Group Dialogue: Each month a community member kickstarts a group dialogue by sharing a personal story or skill in the realm of social impact. Past topics have included risk-taking, networking from the heart, finding meaningful work, imposter syndrome, self care, graphic facilitation, and others.
- Ask/Offer Circle: Participants take turns to make an ask and/or offer. It’s always amazing to see what we can make happen as a group!
Join us on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
Location: HiVE Kitchen & Lounge (210-128 West Hastings)
Time: 6-9pm, doors open at 5:45pm
Cost: $5-10 suggested donation
Potluck: Please bring a healthy dish to share
This summer we’re changing things up with Field Trip Fridays!
July 21, 2017: Wildcrafting in East Van
Curious to eat your weeds? Join us for hands-on wildcrafting and explore our edible urban bounty! Identify foods to forage for locally and see the city landscape in a new delicious light.
This event will be led by Julia Thiessen. Julia has a passion for the connection between nature and wellness. She has a background in non-profit work, therapeutic horticulture and meditation. She takes environmental problems seriously, but brings curiosity and amusement to the field to facilitate meaningful connections to the planet, each other and ourselves.
HOW TO MEET US
Location: Copley Community Orchard (Copley St. & Vanness Ave., right by Nanaimo Skytrain Station)
Time: 6:30pm – till when our picnic potluck ends
Contact Number: 604-760-2227
- A potluck picnic will follow the foraging. Please bring a healthy-ish dish to share. To reduce waste, please bring your own plate, utensils and drinks. If you are able to contribute a blanket that would be greatly appreciated!
- The closest public washrooms will be a 10-15 minute walk away. Please plan accordingly.
- Dress comfortably for the weather.
August 18, 2017: Creative Play at Trout Lake
When was the last time you played? Bring a game, picnic item, friends, family, and pets! We’ll explore the power of play in unleashing our creativity and potential. More details to come.
What people are saying:
“Safe space created was awesome.”
“I met the nicest people!”
“These 2 hours gave me the needed reflection in a busy schedule.”
“The event you put together is the best “networking” (I hate that word) event that I’ve ever been to.”
“I appreciate being with the creative, caring and authentic people of the SIGroup. I draw strength, ideas, inspiration and motivation from these get togethers.”
RSVP to save your seat
- Andee Pittman on co-design for engagement, equity, and sustainability
- Ileana Costrut on recognizing and working through fear
- Laura Cuthbert, Kudoz, on bringing yourself to work
- Miranda Maslany on graphic facilitation
- Katie Stewart, SAD Mag & HiVE, on risk-taking and knowing when to take the plunge
- Annika Reinhardt, Talent Collective, on finding your path to meaningful work
- Sarah Shandl, Dreamers + Doers, on building amazing things by connecting and collaborating
- Sarah Wall, Body Mind Spirit, on meditation and abundance mindset
- Maya Goodwill, HiVE Vancouver, on the imposter syndrome
- Chris Schuchmann, Paid for Purpose, on networking from the heart
- Joey Liu, The Food Connection, on community engagement & meaningful connections through vulnerability & authenticity
- Crystal Lee, Beyond Maybe, on slowing down